Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Understand Moving Pictures


If I were to use video to teach my students, I would first ask myself "What is the purpose of using video in my second language class?" and many key considerations suggested by Canning-Wilson in her article.
Based on that many benefits my students will gain from learning through watching video clips; I will definitely find the opportunity to try to use video in my classroom. Since my students can see “an immediate meaning in the language” through watching video, their interests are hold and can “visualize words was well as meanings.”  However, there are some disadvantages of using video in the classroom. If I am determined to use video in my class; I have to solve these problems first. Time consuming and students losing their interests are two significant problems in using video in the foreign language classroom. They can be also considered as one problem.
Canning-Wilson also stated in her article that “if video is to be used in the classroom… it should be shown in segments and not as a whole.” Moreover I have summarized from her paragraph about Suggestions to the Classroom Practitioner. I think each segment is better to be less than 5 minutes.
To avoid losing students’ interests, and allow students more opportunities to practice their target language, I would not carry on to the next segment. Instead I would create some relevant mini activities such as role playing, guessing games, and drawing activities before we move to the next segment. Teachers should allow students sometime to digest; take one bite a time. Through the activities, a teacher can assess how students learn, think and reflect to the visuals and the target language.
I have used Youtube in both my Visual Art class and Mandarin class. Using a video clip really attracts students’ attention; however, if you began it with a meaningless or non-relevant theme, you would soon lose them.
Therefore, I found it effective to play it the other way around and use it as a hook. I assigned my Mandarin 11 students a video presentation. When they heard about making a video for their final project, they were excited and motivated. I invited my students to a film maker’s point of view. Each group from a film maker’s point of view, made some questions, games and activities to facilitate audience (other learners). For example, what formal language was used in the video?  I believe this way students understand or experience what their teachers are trying to show them. Instead of teaching students what to think, we teach them how to think through watching and making live moving pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment